Monday 11 February 2013

Mystery Monday - Thompsons Thompsons Everywhere!

There really are Thompsons everywhere, which does make reliably tracking them down hard work.  And if they're called John Thompson like my great-grandfather and his father it becomes even easier to make mistakes.

I spent several years following a completely erroneous branch of the Thompson family after confusing two John Thompsons born in the same month, in the same parish.  It was very interesting researching Norfolk local history - it's just that no one in our family has ever lived there!

And now I am following the right branch - I hope! - my great-grandfather has got me stumped again.  His 1907 marriage certificate shows that John was already, at just 27, a widow.

But I have not been able to find a record for this other marriage or indeed any census record for John in 1901 which might give a clue as to where he was.

Any suggestions anyone?



If you enjoyed this post do come and talk history and genealogy on Twitter and Google+.

If you enjoyed this post do come and talk history - family, social and political - on Twitter.  You may also enjoy these posts ...

Source of scandal Post mistresses Brown dog nurses

No comments:

Post a Comment